Addictions, both chemical (drugs and alcohol) and behavioral (gambling, pornography, sex) can be a pervasive concern both for how an individual functions in their world and how their behavior impacts their personal relationships. At Midwest Therapy Partners, we believe in the disease model of addiction and believe addiction of any kind is a highly treatable condition.
Some addiction symptoms and behaviors include, among others:
- Feeling the need to use the chemical or engage in the addictive behavior regularly. There is often a preoccupation or an intense urge
- Persistent desire to cut back or stop use completely
- Over time, needing more to get the same effect
- Planning activities around engaging in the addictive behavior
- Use is continued despite there being physical ramifications to health or personal ramifications, such as family distress or arguments over use
- Doing things you wouldn’t normally do while engaging in the addictive behavior. Addiction causes people to act outside their value system
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms when not using the drug
- Failed attempts to quit using the drug
If you can relate to any of the above symptoms or behaviors, it may be time to consider addiction counseling.
At Midwest Therapy Partners, we will address the symptoms of your addiction and any underlying issues, such as depression, anxiety or trauma, that may drive the addictive behavior. We have staff specifically credentialed as Certified Alcohol and other Drug Counselor (CADC) professionals. This is important for successful treatment of any kind of addiction.
Contact us today for a free consultation.